Joel Jon Hart Funk As one of the founding partners of Hart David Carson, Mr. Joel Jon Hart Funk represents clients in a myriad of industries, including commodity trading, food and beverage, medical, real estate, entertainment, retail, and software development. He advises his clients on the various legal complexities pertaining to their administration and operation, specializing in particular in contract negotiations and disputes, corporate restructuring, reorganization and asset protection. He also specializes in the structuring of wills, revocable trusts, irrevocable trusts, land trusts, power of attorney, and other aspects of estate planning.
Mr. Funk has been named one of Illinois’s “Top 40 Under 40” three years in a row as well as one of Super Lawyer’s Rising Stars—a designation reserved only for 2.5% of attorneys in the State of Illinois. He is a member of the Wealth Counsel, the DuPage County Bar Association, the Downers Grove Chamber of Commerce, and the Illinois State Bar Association. He also sits on a vast array of professional boards in numerous domestic and international industries, including commodity trading, technology, financial, banking, food and beverage, and so on.
Mr. Funk received his J.D. and MBA degrees through Valparaiso University, and graduated with high honors. His educational experience in business administration couples with his extensive practical experience in corporate law, entrepreneurial investment, and real estate, giving him keen insight on administrative, organizational, and contractual matters his clients face, allowing him to take a highly sophisticated approach to every situation regardless of its apparent complexity. He takes pride in the clients he has represented and counseled in these matters, and he continuously finds satisfaction in the rigors of practicing law.
Currently, Mr. Funk resides in the Chicago-Metro area with his wife and two kids. In addition to providing legal counsel to his clients, he enjoys spending time with his family, playing guitar and piano, and enjoying an occasional round of golf whenever he has a free moment.
- Valparaiso University (J.D.) – Juris Doctor
- Valparaiso University (M.B.A.) – Masters of Business Administration
- Valparaiso University (B.A.) – Political Science & Music
ADMISSIONS & CERTIFICATIONS
- State Bar of Illinois
- United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois
SPECIFIC ATTORNEY PRACTICE AREAS
- Business Law and Corporate Governance
- Estate Planning and Asset Protection
- Litigation and Arbitration
- Real Estate
- Commercial/Residential Real Estate Development
- Corporate General Counsel
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Venture Capital & Small Business
- Private Equity
- Mergers & Aquisition
- Fashion, Retail & Lifestyle
- Complex Estate Structuring / Trusts / Executive Asset Planning
- International/Domestic Asset Protection
PROFESSIONAL & CHARITABLE ACTIVITIES
- Dupage County Bar Association
- Downers Grove Chamber of Commerce
- Illinois State Bar Association